Please Don’t Piss on the Petunias by Sandra Knauf has 11 reviews on Amazon with an average rating of 4.7 stars.
Please Don’t Piss on the Petunias: Stories About Raising Kids, Crops & Critters in the City by Sandra Knauf
Please Don’t Piss on the Petunias is a collection of essays and stories by a Colorado gardener with a dream: to give her two daughters the nature-centered childhood she had always longed for. When her husband finds an old house in a quirky part of town, she begins to make her dream a reality.
Engaging, edgy, and often hilarious, Please Don’t Piss on the Petunias follows Sandra Knauf as she turns a weed-filled yard into an urban paradise.
Over the course of several chaotic years, she:
• Muddles through “mistress gardener” training, learning the ABCs of horticulture.
• Raises, with her young daughters, exotic breed bantam chickens named after Greek goddesses
• Goes on her first bee-swarm capture.
• Discovers that a hen in their small flock has undergone a sex change.
• Copes with a series of family dogs: a rambunctious rescue Dalmatian, a destructive black Lab puppy, and a counterfeit teacup Chihuahua with a bad attitude.
• Adds to the animal menagerie: Netherlands dwarf rabbits, fancy backyard goldfish, triops from the age of the dinosaurs, and more.
Through creating a life filled with plants and animals (and plenty of love) Sandra Knauf makes a discovery that will resonate with any rebel: Going off the beaten path may be the best way to find out who you really are.